With plenty of Australians in action around the world this past week, it’s time to take a not so serious look at their achievements.
1. The Western Sydney Wanderers lost their Club World Cup match against Cruz Azul at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Morocco. The ground also doubles as Morocco’s national swimming stadium. It’s a pity nobody told FIFA that they hadn’t drained the ground for the football match.
Photo: Cruz Azul players make use of the swimming lane on the football pitch.
2. The First cricket Test at Adelaide concluded with an Australian win and an Indian collapse. The Indians looked set to reel in the 363 run target late on Day 5 before captain, Virat Kohli was dismissed by Nathan Lyon. The remaining Indian batsmen then quickly followed their stand-in captain’s lead by falling in a heap.
Photo: Ryan Harris contemplates stealing Virat Kohli’s knees.
3. Still on the cricket, and Steven Smith has gone from being dropped for not being Shane Warne, to fidgeting his way to the Test captaincy. Shaun Marsh has also been recalled to the side, with the Australian selectors deciding that averaging 37 in First Class cricket now qualifies to be a Test batsman. Josh Hazlewood has been handed his Test debut, selected in place of Peter Siddle with the banana man having poor returns from his tours of both South Africa and the UAE.
Photo: Shaun Marsh celebrates receiving another Test cap whilst averaging less then Shane Watson
4. In world sport news, Rome has announced that they will tender for the 2024 Olympics. The IOC has informed them that the use of wild animals and slaves in the arena is now frowned upon throughout the world. Although don’t be surprised if Russell Crowe appears in the opening ceremony.
5. And in local A-League news, the ever young Archie Thompson netted a hat-trick as his Melbourne Victory drew with Sydney FC, 3-3 in the Big Blue. The *cough* quality *cough* of the A-League was on show with the 36 year old further establishing himself as the best goal scorer in A-League history.
Are you not entertained? Leave a comment below.